Monday, January 16, 2012

I May. Be Nosey.

We had a great time at the Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade today. My cousin joined us and we found a great viewing spot at the corner of King/Crenshaw where we stayed until "it" was over. I was surprised that no one complained when we excused ourselves through the crowd to claim our positions.

I've had some unpleasant experiences with "citizen street police" at the MLK Parade in past years. The encounters were with adults sitting in their lawn chairs (on public property) not wanting anyone to come into their area. Can my children respectably get to a space on the curbside where they can see too? Which can't be too far away from me. So excuse us please.

It's crazy how people are so anxious to see what's coming when they know, that eventually "it" will take place right before them. I witnessed what I, thought was about to turn into a physical altercation between two adult (late 30s) women right next to us on the same corner. Call it nosey or observant, but I had noticed the instigator of "this" incident well before "it" occurred.

Reason being, she caught my attention when she loudly told someone (her family) to get out of her chair. She fussed and frowned for a little while after sitting down. In my mind, without even knowing her or having one direct interaction with "this" woman, I labeled her as a complainer when I looked at her.

The other woman involved in the argument had excused her way through where we were standing to meet up with her family a short while after we arrived. She actually stopped in front of my cousin for a few minutes before she turned around and asked was she blocking our view. My cousin politely responded "yes" and the woman tried to move out the way. When she did, she blocked someone else's view...

Here is where the drama began. Remember the instigator I mentioned above? It was bothering her the most, which she made very clear with her rants and complaints. She even had the audacity to step into the other woman's face with the nonsense. The other woman almost snapped. It was sad to see them behave "this" way in front of everyone (kids as well), especially on Martin Luther King Jr.'s holiday.

Someone from each of their families calmed both of the women down. The crowd around reminded them about what today means: That we cannot overcome anything with violence. They both apologized and hugged one another. Several people clapped and cheered for the ladies as did I. "This" became the highlight of the parade for the area that we were in. Surely, a treat to see!



I obviously was not the only nosey one...

No comments:

Post a Comment